CHASSIS NO: 2282973
• Outstanding example of Ford’s versatile Model A
• Extremely rare double-door commercial body style
• Well-restored, preserved, presented, and ready to enjoy
• Accompanied by “before, during and after” restoration photos
200.5 cid L-head inline four-cylinder engine, 40 HP, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with transverse leaf spring, live rear axle with cantilevered semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel mechanical drum brakes; wheelbase: 103.5"
The introduction of the Ford Model A in late 1927 represents one of the most significant and successful business turnarounds of the 20th Century. While many wrote off Ford as the “Flivver Motor Company” by the mid-1920s due to Henry’s single-minded focus on the old-fashioned but successful Model T, Edsel Ford successfully lobbied for development of a new car to replace it. In a startling move, Henry Ford ordered his factories to shut down in June 1927 and when the Model T’s successor, the Model A, debuted several months later, it marked a quantum leap forward with its handsome Lincoln-inspired styling, the product of Edsel’s design genius.
Substance matched the new Model A’s winning style with a larger 200 cubic-inch, 40-horsepower four-cylinder engine producing twice the output of its predecessor. While the Model A was more complex than the old “Tin Lizzie,” driving was made much easier with a new sliding-gear manual transmission with a simplified “H” shift pattern. Other advances heralded by the Model A included welded steel wire wheels, Houdaille-type double-acting shock absorbers, four-wheel mechanical brakes, and a 6-volt electrical, charging, and starting system. Departing even further from the basic Model T concept, the Model A was available in a choice of several colors. Priced from just $460, the Model A was initially available in nine body types and as before with the Model T, the new Ford provided buyers with immense value and utility.
As with its predecessor, the secret to the Model A’s success was its stunning versatility. A myriad of commercial versions was available from the factory, including the handsome Panel Truck offered here with a double rear-door commercial body style. As advertised by Ford when new, the Model A Panel Truck featured an all-steel outer body with streamlined and rounded corners for a smooth look. A beltline molding and bright black heavy-coated rubber roof covering heightened curb appeal. The interior was completely lined and protected by hardwood slats. Rear cargo doors were wide, sturdy and fitted with a locking handle for safely stowing valuable cargo. Five wire-spoke wheels completed this elegant, yet hardworking vehicle.
According to a framed display accompanying the vehicle, this Model A Double Door Panel Truck is one of precious few – perhaps 25 known remaining today. It had been inside a barn for 35 years prior to discovery by Fred Austin, who totally restored it from “basket case” condition to its present splendor with assistance from Ellery Engle Restorations in California. In addition to its striking paint finish, this delightful Model A features thoughtful upgrades for true enjoyment with ease of operation. Among them are a counter-balanced engine for smooth running, a 6-volt alternator, V-8 clutch assembly, 1939 Ford three-speed transmission, Borg-Warner overdrive and modified Ford F-100 steering gear adapted to the Model A steering column. All wood was painstakingly replaced with new, beautifully finished Ash and Oak. The venerable Ford was purchased at auction by George Finley in early 2005, who successfully won a bidding war over the telephone while boarding a commercial flight back home from Scottsdale to Texas. Clearly benefiting from proper care and storage, this 1928 Ford Model A Double-Door Panel Truck is simply an outstanding example of a truly rare body style. As offered, it stands ready for the new owner to show and enjoy with pride.